one-hundred dollar bills in the background of children's magnets that spell out "child support"

Can I Withhold Visitation if My Ex Isn’t Paying Child Support?

Understanding Your Child’s Rights in a Divorce

If your ex-spouse isn’t cooperating with your child support agreement, it can be an extremely frustrating experience. In contrast, the strategy of withholding visitation to force your ex to make good on paying child support can do more harm than good. Here’s why.

Child Support and Visitation are Two Separate Issues

Child support and visitation are handled as two separate matters — which means regardless of where your ex-spouse stands with paying child support, your children have the right to a relationship with their parents. Withholding visitation isn’t the answer to resolving your child support issues, and the courts heavily frown upon this tactic.

Visitation is your child’s right, and financial support is the responsibility of each parent. With that said, you may be wondering, “What can I do to enforce the child support payments that were agreed upon?” Read on to learn the answer.

What to Do if Your Ex-Spouse Isn’t Paying Child Support

No matter what reason, unpaid child support does not get dismissed. Child support orders are enforced by the Child Support Services Program in Colorado. Instead of taking matters into your own hands, it’s best first to contact your local county child support office to report your issue. The child support process can be complicated to navigate, so having an experienced child support attorney assist you can help ease some of your stresses regarding such a delicate matter.

Not paying child support or less than the required child support amount in Colorado can lead to the following consequences:

  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Negative credit reporting
  • Losing tax refunds
  • Recreational license suspension (such as a hunting license)
  • Seizure of bank accounts

Need Assistance With Child Support? We Can Help.

Child support matters can be a contentious issue for divorced parents. When your ex-spouse isn’t living up to your child support agreement and you need help, know that you have options. When facing child support challenges or any other divorce matter, we are here to protect you and your child’s best interest.

Contact Drexler Law today at (719) 259-0050 to schedule a free consultation.