Dedication & Excellence
Matt brings commitment, experience, and steadfast determination to the clients of Drexler Law. His litigation and appellate experience combined with his skill for negotiation and mediation continue to achieve and exceed the goals of our clients.
Matt prides himself on being always available and dedicated fully to his clients, who are good people relying on his legal advice and zealous representation in difficult times. Matt’s lengthy history of exceptional client feedback is a testament to his client-focused approach to the practice of law.
He specialized in cases involving:
- Domestic Relations & Family Law – Divorce, Legal Separation, Annulment, Marital Asset Protection, Military Divorce, Child Custody, Enforcement and Contempt, Protection Orders, Restraining Orders, Modification of Parenting Time and Custody, Guardianship, Marital Agreements (Prenuptial Agreements, Antenuptial Agreement) and Relationship Contracts.
- Estate planning– Creating and Updating Wills, Trusts, and Estates
- Probate Litigation – Representing loved ones in the Distribution and Administration of a Probate Estate
- Civil Litigation– Contract Disputes, Business Disputes, Business Entity Formation, Defense of Personal Injury, Asset Protection
- Appeals – Reviews of Magistrate Orders, Family Law & Divorce Appeals, Civil Appeals, Criminal Defense Appeals
Matt's business acumen and background combined with his financial analysis translates to success for clients involved in small, medium, or complex businesses. Whether a client is a registered owner of a business or has a legal interest in a business such as a spouse of a business owner, Matt’s experience can be applied to advance our clients’ legal and financial interests.
Matt’s practice has been recognized by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, naming him among their Top 10 for several years running. Matt continues to achieve annual Client Choice awards for client advocacy and legal representation. Drexler Law has received independent recognition from peers and credentialing organizations as a leading family law firm. Matt is proud of the law firm’s success but is quick to point out that our success began and continues with a dedicated and genuine focus on each client.
Matt represents clients in cases ranging from uncontested divorces to complex litigation where the parties are involved in high asset or high conflict custody disputes. He is an aggressive advocate at a time when clients need it the most.
Matt is the go-to at Drexler Law for Marital Agreements such as prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements. He also assists clients in estate planning and probate litigation whether the client needs a simple will or a more complex trust instrument to transfer wealth or specific assets. Matt’s litigation experience combined with his familiarity with contract law is a client’s advantage in contested probate matters.
Prior to establishing Drexler Law, Matt served as a Managing Partner and General Counsel for a law firm in Colorado Springs. Matt left behind the business-centered law practice, including the never-ending billable-hour push and constraints that prevented dedicated, client-focused representation to focus on developing Drexler Law into a preeminent client-centered family law firm.
By establishing Drexler Law, he adopted the best of the best and threw out the worst in designing a firm from the ground up that is committed to providing aggressive, dedicated, straight-forward and affordable representation to honest and hard-working folks who find themselves in the middle of hard times.
Matt began his private practice legal career as a litigation attorney at the law firm of Godin & Baity, LLC located on 17th Street in Downtown Denver. He handled complex civil litigation cases including catastrophic accidents and major personal injury matters as well as domestic relations, criminal, and probate matters. Matt was recognized as a top associate attorney earning the trust and respect of his law partners, with whom he continues to maintain his professional and personal relationships.
Matt brings a wealth of knowledge and breadth of experience to Drexler Law. He served as Deputy Appellate Defender with the State of Colorado where he handled complex felony criminal appeals. Matt’s dedication to public service continues to motivate him as evidenced by his community involvement and volunteer activities.
Prior to relocating to Colorado, Matt worked as a Law Clerk at Dalsey, Ferrara & Albano of Springfield, Massachusetts in the areas of civil litigation, insurance defense, subrogation and personal injury.
In law school, Matt earned a position on the Law Review and honed his legal research and writing skills. In his second year on Law Review, Matt was invited to be Symposium Editor in the area of Health Law. Matt received rare recognition when he achieved formal publication as a student author. Matt graduated with Latin Honors and excelled as a faculty research assistant. Not being fully satisfied by academic success, Matt earned a student attorney position in his law school’s Consumer Protection Clinic allowing Matt to practice law before the Massachusetts State Court.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Matt was the Program Administrator for multiple National Science Foundation Research Programs in the Departments of Chemical Engineering and School of the Environment at the University of South Carolina, an experience that continues to enrich Matt’s unique perspective on matters of science and technology and the intersection with law.
Matt pursued his undergraduate degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder where he graduated with Distinction and studied Juror Judgment and Decision Making for the Center for Judgment and Policy. Matt graduated from Liberty High School in Colorado Springs and is one of nine (9) siblings.
Matt and his family are camping and RV enthusiasts who explore on and off-road destinations while assisting fellow RVers with their legal needs such as estate plans as well as consumer protection and repair disputes. It can’t be long before Matt opens the RV law practice area at Drexler Law! Matt volunteers as a local National Flag Football League (NFFL) coach and is proud of his team's successes on the field and the players' personal growth off the field.
Areas of Practice
- Domestic & Family Law Litigation
- Divorce Proceedings
- Custody, Allocation, and Modification of Parental Responsibilities
- Civil & Business Litigation
- Appeals: Reviews of Magistrate Orders
- Appeals: Family Law & Divorce Appeals, Civil Appeals, Criminal Defense Appeals
- Protection Orders; Restraining Orders
- Probate Litigation & Administration
- Estate Planning - Wills, Trusts & Estates
- Supreme Court of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- Western New England University School of Law, Springfield, Massachusetts
- J.D., Latin Honors, cum laude
- University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
- Bachelors Degree
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: Juror Judgment and Decision Making for the Center for Judgment and Policy
- "Privacy in Medical Research: A Botched Experiment", 29 W. New Eng. L. Rev. 535 (Symposium on Health Law), 2007
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Colorado Bar Association
- El Paso County Bar Association
- El Paso County Bar – Family Section
- American Bar Association
- Ben Wendelken Inn of Court
Past Employment Positions
- Partner & Attorney, Drexler Law Group, LLC
- Partner & Firm Counsel, GLG, PLLC, Colorado Springs, CO
- Senior Associate Attorney, GLG, PLLC, Colorado Springs, CO
- Associate Attorney, Godin & Baity, LLC, Denver, CO
- Deputy Appellate Public Defender, State of Colorado, Denver, CO
- Student Attorney, Consumer Protection Clinic, Western New England College, Springfield, Massachusetts
- Law Clerk, Dalsey, Ferrara & Albano, Springfield, Massachusetts
- National Science Foundation/University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
- Legal Investigator, Zook & Drexler Legal Investigations, Colorado Springs, CO
- Program Administrator, National Science Foundation Research Program, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of South Carolina
- Habitat for Humanity
- El Paso County Family Law Day