A gavel resting on a piece of paper that reads "Divorce Decree"

When Can You Modify a Divorce Decree?

Making Changes When Things No Longer Work

When it comes to divorce, many things need to be sorted out. This includes property division, child custody and support, and spousal maintenance. In some cases, the divorce decree needs to be modified after being issued. If you are considering modifying your divorce decree in Colorado, it is important to understand the conditions that must be met. This blog post will discuss when you can modify a divorce decree in Colorado and what conditions must be met to do so.

Conditions for Modification

Specific conditions must be met to modify a divorce decree in Colorado. The petitioner must show that there has been a material change in circumstances since the original decree was issued. This change must be significant enough to alter the case's outcome if the modification were to occur. In addition, the petitioner must demonstrate that they have made a good-faith effort to comply with the terms of the original decree.

If both of these conditions can be met, then the court will consider the request for modification. Note, however, that the modification will not be official until a judge hears your arguments and decides whether or not to grant the modification; filing for modification does not alter your divorce decree.

Some examples of significant changes in circumstance include the following:

  • The birth or adoption of a child

  • A change in the financial situation of either party (such as loss of employment)

  • A change in a parent's work schedule that prevents them

  • The need for relocation of either party out of state

To determine whether you may qualify for a modification, be sure to speak with an attorney.

Colorado Modification Attorneys

When changes in life circumstances occur, modifications to a divorce order may be necessary. If you need to modify an existing divorce decree, consult with an attorney who can provide you with the guidance necessary on how to move forward. At Drexler Law, our team can help you plan a path forward toward modification and can assist you in achieving the change you seek.

Learn more about modification in Colorado by calling us at (719) 259-0050 or by visiting our website.